Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Proposal!

Ahh, the proposal.  No matter how much I thought I would know when it was going to happen, nothing prepared me for the moment it actually did.  Don't get me wrong, I knew he would propose at some point.  We were living together, we talked about our future, we knew we would get married one day.  We always said getting engaged/married would be like lightning striking.

If lighting ever strikes, we are not registering at Bed, Bath, & Beyond!  (After a particularly horrible experience.)

If lightning ever strikes, where do you think we will get married?

Where will we go on our honeymoon if lightning strikes?

To understand how we ended up at the proposal we first need to go back to (almost) the beginning.  I casually mentioned to Mr. B during one of our first dates that I have always wanted to go to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.  We looked at pictures and he fell in love, too.  Well, a year and a half later, we were on our way!   

Source

We had a very early flight but luckily the Tallahassee airport is tiny so we were able to get checked in and on our way in no time.  As we were checking our bags, Mr. B asked the woman behind the counter if there was any bad weather around or any lightning to be worried about.  She told us everything was clear and we should be fine.  Half asleep, we started to head to security.

A large painting caught Mr. B's eye and he pulled me aside to look at it.  A painting at the Tallahassee airport.  At 6 AM.  Huh?  He then mentioned asking the woman at the counter about the weather and he said he didn't want to have to wait for lightning to strike.  Before I even realized what was happening, he was down on one knee with a ring in his hand.  I don't know if it was the hour or the shock, but it took me a second to say yes.  With a new ring on my finger, we headed toward our plane.  I snapped a quick picture of my new jewelry before heading off to Atlanta. 

Personal photo.
We spent our layover calling friends and family and eating breakfast burritos.  I hate talking on the phone so an impending international flight was the perfect excuse to make some calls without having to hang on for a long conversation. 

The next four days were spent at an all-inclusive adults-only resort, Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro.  It was the perfect way to celebrate our new life together and just soak everything in - just the two of us.  We had plenty of celebrations with friends once we got back but those few days were just us and they were perfect.

I always knew I would know when he was going to propose.  In fact, on our trip I kept thinking, "This is it!  He is going to propose now!"  I would then remember that he already did and he managed to surprise me. 

An intimate trip was our perfect way to celebrate - what did you do?  Were you surprised or did you know it was coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment