Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wedding Theme

I always knew weddings have a general theme to them but I never really though about what mine would be until it was time to start making some decisions.  I knew I didn't want a lot of mismatched/random elements and that I liked the idea of everything looking cohesive.  So, what would our "theme" be?

It didn't take me long to decide I wanted the fleur de lis to play a central role.  It is the symbol of my beloved city of New Orleans and it can be incorporated into almost every detail.

Please note - it can also be used in a lot of tacky ways.  Looking for inspiration was more difficult than I imagined but I knew what we ended up with would be uniquely us, and that was my main goal.

Some example of FDL wedding items that are not for us -
Way too much going on for my taste (Image via Momental Designs)

This just looks uncomfortable (Image via Overstock.com)

As much as I love the Saints, I don't think Mr. B would approve
(Image via Yes We Wed/Photo by Papillon Perspectives)
The first wedding item I purchased (maybe before the engagement?) was a fleur de lis paper punch from Overstock.  I thought I would make my own invitations and use the punch as much as possible.  I have since booked a vendor to print our invitations (more on that later!) but the paper punch has not gone unused.  Stay tuned for my first major DIY where I break in the punch!

After we settled on the theme we then decided on colors.  For an October wedding I knew pinks and yellows and all the beautiful pastels were not going to work.  I wanted something classic - something that would appeal to all ages and would be timeless.  Enter: navy, gold, and cream.


Martha Stewart knows what's up (Image via marthastewartweddings.com)
Navy bridesmaid dresses?  White flowers?  Hints of gold?  Sign me up!  Settling these two major details helped guide our vision for everything else.  I know everything will not work together completely but that's OK.  Armed with my guidelines for cohesion, I was ready to start the real planning.

How did you get inspired?





No comments:

Post a Comment