Friday, April 26, 2013

Going to the Chapel

Another long distance bride problem - where will we get married and who will marry us?  We knew we did not want to get married by a stranger but we really didn't have an obvious option for a non-stranger.  First things first, we decided we needed to finalize where we would get married before settling on who would marry us. 

Savannah is known for a lot of things, but most notable is its plethora of beautiful squares.  You can't go more than a few blocks without stumbling into a park - some are grand and fancy, some are just beautiful trees and a few benches.  These parks are a favorite place to get married and I will show you why:
The famous Forsyth Park / Photo by Greg Ceo
Whitefield Square / Photo by Greg Ceo
Columbia Square / Photo by Greg Ceo
Aren't those pictures just gorgeous?  If I could guarantee perfect weather and no creepy onlookers, I would absolutely get married in one of these beautiful squares.  Unfortunately, though, rain does tend to come on your wedding day - and that is a risk I am not willing to take!  Yes, umbrella pictures are so cute!  No, I do not want the added stress of trying to control the weather on my wedding day.  An outdoor ceremony was crossed off the list so quickly it may not have even made it on to begin with.  (I am hopeful for good weather for pictures, though!)

The first venue I seriously considered was The Cathedral of Saint John The Baptist.  You guys, even just typing this makes me a little upset.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love where we are getting married, but we aren't getting married at the first place I fell in love with.  Mr. B and I randomly stumbled in here one day after breakfast during our first anniversary trip and I immediately wanted to get married here.  The outside is nothing special but the inside - oooooh, the inside. 

Personal Photo

Personal Photo

Personal Photo
This place is seriously a work of art.  Can people get married inside a work of art?  Yes.  Yes, they can...
Photo by Greg Ceo

Photo by Greg Ceo
Photo by Greg Ceo
Now, I am Catholic but Mr. B is not - I should have stopped this journey before it even began.  Bridesmaid Runner isn't Catholic but she got married in a cathedral so we could make it work, too, right?!  Wrong.  They only allow parishoners of the church to be married there.  Womp, womp. :(

Not to fear!  Savannah is a historic city and it is brimming with beautiful old churches!  Well...  Sort of...  I found only one option I liked, Whitefield Chapel at Bathesda Academy.    It has beautiful brick floors and it is a sweet, intimate space.  The problem?  It is about 15 minutes from downtown Savannah.  Was I willing to sacrifice the "walkable wedding" plan I had for this space?  Not so fast...

So now what?  I looked up every wedding photographer in Savannah and looked at every wedding they shot.  The best way to see if you want to get married somewhere is to see someone else's wedding there, right?  About 30 minutes into this project I found it - Trinity United Methodist Church. 


Image via The Savannah Wedding Studio
 
Image via The Savannah Wedding Studio
Image by Greg Ceo
This beautiful church was built in 1848 and it is simply breathtaking.  Even more beautiful than the building are the people there!  Mr. B and I went to a service there the last time we were in Savannah and we were overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness showed by everyone we met.  In fact - we liked the people so much that we decided to ask the pastor to marry us!  This was definitely not our original plan since I did not want to be married by a "stranger," but his sermon was so powerful and he was so kind.  We plan on visiting with him a few times before the wedding so he can get to know us better - hopefully he won't be too much of a stranger by the big day!

I am so grateful we found this wonderful church and I cannot wait to start our new life there.  Other destination brides - how did you choose a church and officiant?  Did anyone else give up a gorgeous outdoor wedding because of weather fears?

No comments:

Post a Comment