Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wedding Prep

Let me start by saying I must really like this community if I am showing some of the pictures posted below.  All for the love of the Hive!

Every bride wants to look their best on their wedding day, there is just no way around it.  It is the day all eyes and camera lenses will be on you.  Your hair has to look its best, your teeth should be their brightest, your skin its most flawless.  Well, easier said than done.  I live in the real world over here--a world where I can't get a trim and facial every few weeks.  A world where sometimes I am so dead tired that I can't bring myself to take off my makeup before going to sleep (in all honesty, I've gotten better about at least using a cleansing cloth like this).  A world where a bowl of ice cream and a glass of red wine sound like more fun than a plate of broccoli.

I will never be perfect--no one will be.  But I am trying my best to be the best version of me I can be, both inside and out.  I should say before we begin that I originally planned on including a weight/health section here but I have so much to say there that it will unfortunately (for me) get its own post.  Also, I plan on doing a follow-up post in a few months to see how these treatments worked for me.  The main superficial concerns I want to address before my big day are:  skin, hair, teeth, and body.

Skin

My skin hasn't ever been something I cared a lot about--until now.  Sure, I use sunscreen and oil-free makeup and I wash and moisturize twice a day.  I don't know if it is my age or my bridal status but recently my skin has been something I really want to improve.  It is the definition of combination - my forehead is always shiny but the area around my mouth and nose are always dry.  My pores are big.  You can see I just have generally OK skin:


Personal Photo

A closeup of my forehead reveals more of my concerns:

Personal Photo
You can see my pores and my skin is a bit blotchy.  I am fortunate that I do not really have any acne, although I still get the occasional pimple. 

I have been yearning for the Clarisonic Mia for what feels like an eternity.  Dropping $120 on an exfoliating brush wasn't exactly a priority for me, though.  I did quite a bit of research and discovered the Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System--an inexpensive alternative to the Mia.

Image via Amazon
It is $30 at CVS but I ended up getting mine for $20 using coupons.  I've only been using it for about two weeks but I think I see a little difference.

I have also started using a new line recommended by an aesthetician--BIOELEMENTS.  She had me start with three products:

Power Peptide, a toner I use after washing but before moisturizing.  
Image via BIOELEMENTS
 Multi-Task Eye Cream, an eye cream I use in the morning and at night.
Image via BIOELEMENTS
Sleepwear, a night cream.
Image via BIOELEMENTS
The Sleepwear is supposed to even out my skin tone and it seems to be working.  Both the Sleepwear and the Power Peptide smell amazing and feel great on my skin.  I have only been using these products for a week but I can already see a small difference.

Hair

Yes, I am the typical "growing my hair out" bride, although the wedding is not necessarily the main reason I am letting it grow.  I've had different hair lengths throughout my life but lately I seem to be in the habit of always growing it out for a big cut.  The last time I had a major chop was Spring 2010 when I donated 10 inches to Locks of Love
Personal Photo
I liked having it short but I also like having long hair.  I hate spending a lot of time doing my hair and when it is short I can't throw it back as quickly.  On the other hand, my hair is naturally curly and my curls look much better when it is short--making it easy to "wash and go."

OK, back to growing it out again.  I haven't completely settled on a hairstyle but I know I will want/need long hair for whatever I do.  I also know I need to start phasing out my layers.  This is a good idea of the current state of my hair:

Personal Photo

It is getting close to the longest it has ever been but I still plan on growing it more.  Even though Mr. B hates short hair, I can tell you with complete certainty I will do a PWC and I will cut enough off for a Locks of Love donation.

I haven't really changed my products but I have started using coconut oil every now and then.  I melt a few tablespoons and distribute them through the ends of my hair.  I then wrap my hair in plastic wrap and wait 20-30 minutes before washing my hair (great time for a mani/pedi!).  I wish I had the time to do this more often because my hair is so smooth and shiny after.  I highly recommend it!  In case you're wondering, my go-to styling products are Bumble and bumble Styling Lotion and MOROCCANOIL.  I would like my hair to be a bit thicker - any product advice would be appreciated!

Teeth

My teeth have always been a little jacked.

Personal Photo
In all fairness, that was taken when I was still in an awkward teeth phase.  That gap you see stuck with me a very long time and somehow corrected itself (if only a little) as I got older.  Throughout my adult life I have been very unhappy with the way two of my teeth photograph:

Personal photo

The teeth on either side of my front teeth go in, creating a shadow in pictures.  Take a look at my bio photo - you can easily see the shadow there:

Personal Photo
I look like I am missing a tooth.  I knew I needed to do something about this or risk hating my wedding photos.  I really didn't want braces, although I think it is perfectly acceptable for adults to get them--they just weren't for me.  That left me with one choice - Invisalign.  If you don't know what Invisalign is, it is basically a combination of a retainer and braces - you can take them out when you eat but they are supposed to be in at all other times.  They mold the plastic to your teeth and you get a new set of "aligners" every two weeks, each set making a small change over the last.

Image via Invisalign Orlando
Invisalign is not for everyone, though.  My experience has not been painful or uncomfortable but all you need to do is a quick google search to find the tons of people out there who cannot deal with it.  It is also pricey but I am fortunate my insurance is paying for part while I pay for the rest in monthly installments.  You also need to brush your teeth a lot when you have Invisalign since you need to put your aligners back in to a clean mouth.  I have flossing and brushing supplies on me at all times.  Yes, it is annoying--but it made my last cleaning worry-free! 

It can be obvious on some people but I do not think it is super obvious on me.  I have only had one person ask me about it (Bridesmaid Runner!) so people either don't notice or don't care.

Personal Photo
See?  You can't really tell.  I have definitely been around people I could tell have it, though, so if you're thinking about doing it know that it could be obvious to those around you. 

I started my treatment in November 2012 and it is expected to last 66 weeks.  I know this because every set of aligners says "Set X/33" and you replace your set every two weeks.  I just started week 14, but who's counting?  I will not be done by the wedding but I have already noticed a difference so I know I will be in great shape by the time October rolls around. 

OK, that is it for now!  As I mentioned above, I plan to do a follow-up post a month or so before the wedding to see how my plans have worked (or failed).  So tell me - what did you do to prepare for the wedding?  Any other Invisalign users out there?  Any tips for inexpensive ways to make my skin amazing?

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss Invisalign in-depth.  I am happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment