Monday, June 24, 2013

First Dance

Feel free to play along at any point:

I have been thinking about our first dance since before we were even engaged.  I would hear a random (Al Green?) song and think, "This could be it!"  I had quite a few in mind until one day our first dance picked us. 

Mr. B and I were driving on I-10--I can't remember where we were coming from but we were heading east on our way back to Tallahassee.  He was driving and I was using that opportunity to scout for venues.  I looked through photographers' website and videographers' videos.  I stumbled upon a video that made both of us have this moment where we just looked at each other and knew--the song playing on the video would be our first dance: Ben Rector, "White Dress."  (I wish I could find that video but I can't seem to track it down--sorry!)

This song is perfect for a number of reasons.  First, we love how unexpected it is--not your average song or even your average tempo.  It will be fun instead of awkward (hopefully). 

Second, the lyrics strike a chord with us:

I never knew that I could love someone the way that I love you.
I never knew that I could love someone the way that I love you.
I never knew, I never knew.

Last summer Mr. B, his children (A and M), and I went to Fairhope, Alabama for a week.  Throughout that trip when A would make a mistake or spill something she would say, "I never knew it was full!"  Or, "I never even knew that was in there!"  It was really cute and it has become a running joke with the four of us.  The lyrics of this song not only express how we feel but they also bring in a special memory and a bit of an inside joke.

When we first discovered and downloaded the song we would listen to it often, which resulted in a self-imposed rule of not being allowed to listen to it more than once a month.  Of course I have listened to it somewhere along the lines of 20 times while writing this but let's not count those, OK? 

Our plan is to dance the first verse and chorus alone and then have the DJ ask everyone who wants to come join us.  This will also provide a good opportunity for the DJ to speak over some not ideal lyrics:

She's coming on Friday
And then the clothes fall off. 

Although I am quite confident my 93 year old grandmother will not understand the lyrics anyway, I don't want to risk it.

So there you have it - the story of how our first dance picked us.  Did anyone else have a similar experience?  Anyone else have to distract from lyrics?

No comments:

Post a Comment