Thursday, June 20, 2013

Traditions (For Us) to Lose

As I mentioned before, we are keeping some wedding traditions but losing quite a few, too. 

Traditions (For Us) to Lose

Parental Dances:  As I have previously mentioned, I lost my father in 2005.  This means no father/daughter dance.  I am very much OK with this - one dance with all eyes on us is more than enough.  We are also skipping the mother/son dance because, well, Mr. B is 46 and that just seems awkward.  I am confident we will all share dances as the night progresses and I would rather them be natural--without all eyes on us. 

Garter: No. Thank. You.  It never even crossed my mind to have a moment like this:
Image via Red Box Pictures
I know this is a very common tradition and it is considered the "norm," but I do not want this moment at my wedding.  The thought of anyone seeing Mr. B grab something from under my dress--especially my grandmother!--just makes me cringe.  I doubt I will even wear a garter, although if I do it will probably be something like this as a treat for Mr. B:
Image via Etsy
Bouquet Toss:  I can count on one hand the number of single women at our wedding.  Even if there were a lot of them, I still don't think we would do this.  It just seems so unnatural and it can be uncomfortable for everyone involved.  A lot of weddings do find a way to make it fun for those involved, I just don't see that happening with my crew. 

Grand Exit:  It actually upsets me that this isn't on the list of traditions we will use. 
Image via Bridal Guide / Photo by Pure 7 Studios
I have been dreaming of a sparkler exit almost since day one.  It just isn't logistically possible with our venue, though.  Our reception is on the second floor of a restaurant and having a bunch of people line the staircase with sparklers doesn't sound safe.  The restaurant is on a busy city street, making an outdoor sparkler exit not feasible, either.  Boo hoo :(

Getaway Car: We could throw a stone (well, maybe Mariano Rivera could throw a stone) from our reception venue to our hotel.  It seems silly to hire a special car to drive us less than a quarter mile.  Mr. B doesn't like the idea of us just walking down the street, though, so we are thinking of alternatives.  Savannah has a lot of horse and carriages, which could be a neat option.
Image via Meredith Perdue
There are also pedicabs in Savannah, which could make for an interesting getaway:
Image via Savannah Pedicab
If we do the horse and carriage, I think I will plan for it to take us on a little tour of the city so we get our money's worth. 

I think those are the major traditions we are skipping.  Now tell me - what did you skip?  Will our guests feel something is missing without these? 

No comments:

Post a Comment