Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Traditions to Use

Like many brides, I want to be somewhat "traditional" on my wedding day, but at the same time I want our day to reflect us.  I think we are planning a good mix of what traditions to use and to what lose.

Traditions to Use

First Dance:  I will go into more detail later, but we are already so excited for our first dance as husband and wife.  No, we won't be one of those cool couples who surprises everyone with an awesome dance, although I love how that is becoming popular.  We are just very excited about the song we selected and we can't wait to share it with our friends and family.

Love this!  Photo by Kimberley Bednarski Anderson / Image via KB Image Photo

Somethings:  We all know the expression, "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."  And sometimes a sixpence in her shoe is included, although I don't think I will go that far.  I like this one a lot-- it is a neat way to tie us brides together.  You can easily incorporate these details into your ensemble and it is sweet to remember the special meaning of each piece.  I already know my earrings (and possibly shoes) will be my something blue.  I think I am borrowing Bridesmaid Runner's veil, so that will be my something borrowed.  My dress will be new.  Until a few nights ago, the only missing piece was something old--but then Mr. B gave me this:

Personal Photo


This is a pin that belonged to his grandmother.  I unfortunately never met her but it is clear to me her legacy lives on in Mr. B's family.  Incorporating her into our day just feels right.

Wedding Cake:  I've already talked about our wedding cake so it isn't news that we are having one.  I did, however, consider other options.  There are so many ways to sweeten up your reception these days -- candy buffets, cupcake towers, ice cream sundae bars, etc.  I love all of those options but I also love the idea of having a wedding cake.  It just seems so classic.  Another deciding factor is the fact we do not have a lot of room for extra tables at the reception--a small table for the cake will be tricky enough to squeeze in. 

That seems to be the end of the line for the major traditions we are using, unless you count a wedding dress, bouquet, bridesmaids, and all of the other items that are "traditions" but also no-brainers.  I am excited to have some of this history with me on my wedding day.  What traditions were important to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment