Sunday, June 2, 2013

Savannah Scouting: Let {Us} Eat Cake!

Mr. B and I spent a few days in Savannah to work on wedding details, eat too much delicious food, and enjoy beautiful weather.  This is an entry in a recap of that trip.

I was fortunate to attend Bridesmaid BOC's bachelorette party the Friday through Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and Mr. B and I figured we should turn that trip into a very extended weekend in Savannah after I was done with the ladies.  We spent Sunday through Tuesday finalizing some wedding details and just enjoying the city where we will be married.

I mentioned early on that I was excited about our cake tasting and when the day finally came, it did not disappoint!   The very first thing we did the Sunday we got to Savannah was taste the wonderful box of sampling cupcakes provided to us by Baker's Pride.  They provided us with a huge box of cupcakes of all their cake flavors and both of their frosting options.



Our cake options were strawberry, yellow, red velvet, chocolate, carrot, and hummingbird.  Our frosting options were white (sort of a buttercream) and cream cheese.

We headed out to Forsyth Park, champagne and cupcakes in hand.


We started with the ones we didn't think we would want, strawberry and red velvet.  The strawberry was too much for my taste and although the red velvet was delicious, it wasn't a fit for us.  We both agreed pretty early on that we preferred the cream cheese frosting - it was just so delicious.

We then tried the yellow (vanilla) and both of us loved it.  I knew I didn't want just vanilla, though, so we kept going...  Next up - carrot cake.  It was very good but not something we saw for our wedding cake.  Next up - chocolate!  Before we took a bite Mr. B said, "It's too bad we can't have a chocolate wedding cake."  Umm, wha?  We can't have a chocolate wedding cake?  Says who?  "Isn't it bad luck or something?"  Hmmm...  This is news to me.  The chocolate was so delicious - we both loved it.  Is chocolate cake bad luck?  If not, I may try and lobby for this one to find a place in our cake.

We then hit the wedding cake jackpot - hummingbird, which they described as "spice cake with banana and pineapple."  I am so jaded by the taste that I don't even know if that sounds weird for a wedding cake but I don't care.  It was amazing.  It was one of the tastiest cupcakes I've ever tried, and that is saying something.  We were in total agreement on yellow and hummingbird, we just need to figure out how to divide that in our three layers.  We think the hummingbird is the best but we don't know if everyone will agree.  Our current plan is to have vanilla as the top and bottom and hummingbird as the middle, although I am open to suggestions for another way of making it work.

You guys, I am almost embarrassed to show the "finished" picture.  We did a horrible job of eating the cupcakes.


Seriously, that's all we ate.  We basically each took one bite from each cupcake, which added up to two bites of each cake flavor and one bite of each frosting.  To be fair, this was at the beginning of a very gluttonous trip and we knew a lot of food was in our future (details to come!).

We did, however, figure out a way to finish the champagne.

I hope I am not one of those brides who doesn't get to eat their wedding cake - I am really looking forward to it!  Now what to do about a cake topper?  And is chocolate bad luck?   Will more people want hummingbird than yellow? 

All photos personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment