Monday, June 23, 2014

Built for Two: Remembering my Father

As you may recall, I lost my father in 2005 and I was looking for a way to make sure he was present on my wedding day.  Well, he was there in more ways than one.

All photos by Ashley Daniell Photography 

First up, a toast!  My brother had the idea to do a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey with the groomsmen before the ceremony.  This was very much a nod to my dad (only more appropriate would have been a Heineken toast) and although I wasn't there to see it myself, I understand my brother said some wonderful things.




I am so glad my brother had this opportunity to honor our father and share this moment with the guys.



Afterward there were hugs all around and the guys headed into the church for the ceremony.

Mr. B with his son


Next up was an idea that came to me at some point in the week before the wedding.  My father was a Marine and when he passed away we had a military service, complete with a flag presentation.  Throughout the wedding planning process I struggled with how to include my brother.  He wasn't a groomsman, walking me down the aisle didn't seem right, and I couldn't think of any other way to make him a part of the bridal party.  I think it was the Tuesday or Wednesday before the wedding that it hit me - I decided to have my brother walk my father's flag down the aisle right before I walked down.  I chose for the string duet to play "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," the perfect song for my father.

I've never heard of anyone doing this but I think it was the perfect way to not only include my brother but also have my father there in a very real way.  My brother handed the flag to Reverend Hendry, who placed it on the altar.


With everyone (and everything) in its place, it was time for me to make my entrance.

Miss a recap? Get caught up here!

No comments:

Post a Comment