Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Built for Two: The Ceremony

We followed the traditional United Methodist marriage ceremony.  I will spare everyone the play-by-play and try to sum it up as best possible.

 All photos by Ashley Daniell Photography

First, Reverend Enoch Hendry greeted everyone


We then declared our intention, stating we would love and honor each other as long as we both shall live.


Next up Bridesmaid Bosox read "Sonnet XVII" by Pablo Neruda.  Rev. Hendry gave us complete freedom to chose our readings and we decided to do one Biblical reading and one poem.






"I don’t love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
I love you as certain dark things are loved,
secretly, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that doesn’t bloom and carries
hidden within itself the light of those flowers,
and thanks to your love, darkly in my body
lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you simply, without problems or pride:
I love you in this way because I don’t know any other way of loving

but this, in which there is no I or you,
so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close."

Our friends and family then offered a response of support for our marriage.

Groomsman SS then read from the Bible, Romans 12:9-21.   
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
 if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.





I will not harp on this too much, but I will say this: It was very difficult for us to chose a Bible verse for SS to read.  Most of what we found did not represent us as a couple or did not represent how we treated each other - feelings of subservience and obedience were not going to work.  This passage from Romans may not have been marriage-centered but we thought it was a good message overall.  And yes, there is a reason we didn't go with Corinthians - Mr. B is not a fan.

Our beautiful and talented friend AC then sang "When you say nothing at all," a song I never would have thought of had she not mentioned it.  She sang a capella and it was breathtaking.

It was then time to say our vows.  We decided early on in the wedding-planning process that we would use the standard vows but we would memorize them.  It felt more authentic to be able to look at each other and recite them cohesively instead of doing the usual "repeat after me" delivery.


In the name of God,

I, Miss Bicycle, take you, Mr. Bicycle, as my husband,

To have and to hold

From this day forward,

For better, for worse,

For richer, for poorer,

In sickness and in health,

To love and to cherish,

Until we are parted by death. 
This is my solemn vow.


It was then time for Rev. Hendry to bless our rings and for us to exchange them (again, memorized).
Mr. B, I give you this ring

As a sign of my vow,

And with all that I am,

And all that I have,

I honor you;

In the name of the Father,

And of the Son,

And of the Holy Spirit.



Rev. Hendry then blessed our marriage and announced we were husband and wife!
 The only unfinished business was our first kiss as a married couple.
 We turned to our family and friends and made our way to the outside of the church.  I did not get my bouquet back for some reason but the free hand allowed me to hold up my dress in the back.
 So happy!  So married!


No comments:

Post a Comment