Friday, July 19, 2013

A Walk to Remember

(Side note: A Walk to Remember is my guiltiest of guilty pleasure movies.  It is awful but it gets me every time.)

As I mentioned before, my father passed away a few years ago.  I think the one time I will really miss him on my wedding day is one of the most important moments - as I walk down the aisle.  As an independent woman, I would not have felt like he was "giving me away," but it would be a nice nod to tradition to have him walk me down the aisle. 

Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Esther Louise Photography / From Bridesmaid Lemon's wedding
I could have my brother or uncle walk me down the aisle but that doesn't make much sense since neither of them is giving me away.  It would just feel awkward.  I also contemplated having my grandmother walk me but since she isn't guaranteed to be there, I don't want to plan on that and have it not work out.  I have gone back and forth but I am pretty much settled on the fact I will be walking myself down the aisle - a nod to my independence, if you will.


Image via Flickr / Photo by Justin Lowery


I've had people ask me if this will make me feel sad or lonely and I honestly don't think it will.  I get to stand strong in front of everyone we love and then walk toward my new life-my new family. 

A few weeks ago another idea struck me, though.  What if I have Mr. B's son M walk me down the aisle?  I am looking for as many ways as possible to include Mr. B's kids in our ceremony since we are becoming an official family that day and it could be a really nice way to include M even more (he is already a groomsman). 

Image via Easy Weddings / Photo by Fotografia Coppola
I've heard of mothers having their son walk them down the aisle, but would it be weird for a future stepmother to have a future stepson walk her?  If I go this route I am thinking of making it a surprise for Mr. B on our wedding day.  I know M would be honored to do it and would love the opportunity but I don't know if it is the right thing to do.... 

So now I guess I am faced with a decision.  Do I have one last public display of independence and walk myself down the aisle?  Do I allow one of my family members to walk me just for the sake of not walking alone?  Or should I have M walk with me as a nod to our new family?

Has anyone else faced a similar situation?  What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment