Monday, July 8, 2013

Should We?

We have never planned on doing a first look.  We decided pretty early on that we don't want to ruin/miss that special moment when I walk down the aisle and Mr. B sees me for the first time.  Our photographer is a big fan of first looks and I absolutely see the benefits, namely more time to enjoy cocktail hour.  We told her right off the bat that it wasn't for us and she only tried to sell us a little bit before giving up and accepting our wishes. 

Image via Green Wedding Shoes / Photo by Simply Bloom Photography
Well, this past weekend's events may have put a wrinkle in our plans.  Bridesmaid BOC got married and she used Ashley Daniell Photography, just as I am.  Mr. B and I chatted with Ashley a little and she planted the first look seed again.  Mr. B and I looked at each other and blamed the fact we wouldn't want to do one on the other one before realizing that maybe we were actually OK with at least considering it.  So now I am stuck with this decision - do we or don't we?

Image via Live Love Photography
Pros:
  • Timing-Our ceremony is at 5 PM and the sun is expected to set in Savannah at 6:41 that day.  This does not allow a ton of time for pictures after the ceremony before the sun sets.
  • Cocktail hour-If we take the majority of our photos before the ceremony, we will be able to enjoy cocktail hour with our guests that we don't get to see very often.
  • Privacy-There is a good argument for less people being around when we see each other for the first time. 
Cons:
  • Reaction-I do kind of want to see Mr. B's reaction when I walk down the aisle and have that be a special moment.  I know it will be different than our first look but I just really want it to still be special.
Image via Thomas Beaman
  •  Alone time-It would be nice to have some quiet time after the ceremony with just us and our bridal party.  I plan on keeping everyone entertained on the trolley with drinks and snacks.
  • Timing-I don't want to feel like we have a hard deadline of when we need to be done (you know, in order to make it to that little ceremony).
I've been in weddings where it has been done but more commonly when it has not been done.  I am honestly so torn right now.  Please help!  Did you do a first look or are you planning on doing one?  Why/why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment