Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Evolving Guest List

When we sent our Save the Dates I thought we were done with the dreaded guest list.  We had our list drafted for a while, cross-checking facebook with daily interactions and whatnot.  We thought of everyone and then had the hard part of deciding how big our list could be and how many people we needed to cut. 

We originally wanted to give a plus one to everyone but as space issues started to worry me we decided to only give them to known relationships.  When all was said and done our guest list had 158 people on it.  Our invitations go out in just a few weeks and I am finalizing all the bits and pieces, which is simultaneously stressful and cathartic. 

Image via someecards

Well, as everything in wedding world seems to go, things aren't so simple.  In the last week we have added six people (3 couples) to the list.  Six!  We are already way over capacity (now inviting 164 when our venue seats 120) and adding three invitations is really going to cut into my wiggle room. 

How did we manage to add six people in a week?  I am responsible for one couple and Mr. B is responsible for the other two.  My person is a friend who I see and hang out with pretty regularly and I am really not sure why she wasn't on the original list.  Every time Mr. B and I hang out with her we leave saying to each other that we need to invite her to the wedding.  I finally got sick of the regret and decided to save a seat for her and her sort-of fiance.  I really do hope she comes - she is a lot of fun and I love having her around.

Both of Mr. B's were people he thought were on the list that actually weren't.  We were at dinner last week and he mentioned so-and-so not being sure if they could come and I pulled up our guest list on my phone and informed him so-and-so wasn't expected to come because they weren't invited.  Oops!  Add two to the list.  Pretty much the same story for the next couple but at least Mr. B realized what he did and told me before he could mention it nonchalantly in conversation. 

So how does one make oneself feel better when they are facing a guest list of 164 and a venue that seats 120?  Go through the list person by person and try to guess who will and will not come.  We came up with 84 definite yeses, 42 maybes, and 38 definite nos.  This made me feel so.much.better.  Don't get me wrong - I want (almost) everyone we invite to be able to attend.  But my mom's second cousin who doesn't know me from Adam?  I most certainly won't be disappointed to open that "no" RSVP.  There are a few people we know aren't coming who I am said about (Bridesmaid Bosox's husband, for one) but life is life and I will get over it. 

With only two weeks before invitations go out (!!!) I think we are finally final.  I can't be the only one out there with last-minute additions.  Did you add people?  Did you think about it but decide it was already final and move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment