Tuesday, October 1, 2013

From Champagne and Diamonds to Vodka and Lists

I have now been engaged for over a year and what a crazy year it has been!  When I first got back from our engage-moon, everything was so much fun.  I was in Bridesmaid Doc's wedding this past February and some of the bridesmaids asked how I liked being engaged, to which I responded something along the lines of, "I love it!  It is all champagne and diamonds!"

Via realitytvgifs.tumblr.com
With less than a month until my wedding (!!!), though, things aren't as fun.  I told a friend the other day that it feels like I went from champagne and diamonds to vodka and lists.  Our RSVP deadline passed last week and we still have 46 outstanding guests.  Seriously?  I guess the pre-stamped, addressed postcard was too easy to pop in the mail?  I cannot make seating charts until I know how many people are coming.  I can't finalize almost anything until I know how many people are coming!

Given all this, I would like to write a letter to my forner, newly-engaged self.  I hope others find this helpful as they begin their journey toward their wedding day.

Dear Miss Bicycle,

Congratulations on your engagement!  That ring is so sparkly, isn't it?  Champagne is so delicious, especially when sipped with your close friends.  Enjoy all the champagne but be careful about what it will do to your waistline and wallet. ;)


First things first - enjoy this special time in your life.  It is sometimes overwhelming to be the center of attention but remember that everyone around you cares about you and is happy for you.  Be gracious and thankful.  Oh - and most importantly - invest in some new thank-you notes.  You're going to need them.  

Be grateful for the amazing people in your life.  You are going to rely on them more than you can imagine.  Each of your friends beings with them a special set of skills - floral arrangement techniques, a nonjudgmental heart, a set of open ears, a bottle of wine.  Appreciate each and every one of these items - they are all essential.  

This is going to strain your family in a way that could break your heart (and soul).  Try not to let it.  

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize.  Do you want a designer dress, acres of peonies, a string quartet?  Figure out what is most important and prioritize that.  The rest will all work out, trust me on that.

Your goal should not be to create the wedding that will get you attention on Pinterest/Style Me Pretty/etc.  This is your wedding and showcasing your love with Mr. B should be the only goal.  Well, that and having a really, really good time. 

At the end of the day please never forget this most important piece of advice: this is about you and Mr. B.  Do not let this process change who you are as a couple aside from the realization that if you can make it through this, you can make it through anything.  Your love is what brought you to this point and nothing should get in the way of that. 

Good luck with the planning and have another glass of champagne - it looks like you could use it.

With Love,
Future Miss Bicycle

No comments:

Post a Comment