Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Flowers

I really like flowers but fortunately I do not have a crazy list of floral demands.  I've heard horror stories of brides becoming obsessed with a certain flower (pink peonies, anyone?) and then being devastated after finding out they either aren't available or don't fit in the budget.  This is one area where Mr. B has an opinion - he hates bouquets that look like a "head of broccoli," as he calls it. 

Image via Seattle Flowers
A bouquet that doesn't look like that?  The first thing that came to mind was this -

 
Image via Seattle Flowers
 
This kind of bouquet can be done beautifully but it has this hint of 80s wedding that I can't shake.  I wanted something timeless and classic - not a throwback to the decade I was born.  I did learn a useless fact during this search - those bouquets are called cascade bouquets and they seem to be making a comeback.  Google image search them and you'll find some interesting options.  Back to what I do want.  During one of my bouquet-searching dates with the internet, I stumbled upon calla lily bouquets -
Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Julie Mikos / Floral Design by Julie Stevens Design
I. Die.  This is seriously perfection!  I don't think this is too broccoli-ish, is it?  This would be perfect for me and my ladies could have something a little simpler -

Image via The Knot / Image by Broxton Art Photography / Design by T'da Design
How beautiful will these look against navy dresses?!  Ahh, I am so excited just thinking about it!

Both my MOH/sister and a bridesmaid have done wedding flowers before so I plan on having them help me and we will do everything ourselves, aside from my own bouquet.  Tying calla lilies together can't be that difficult, can it?  We will also do the centerpieces but I am still trying to decide what to do there.  One image that struck me:
Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Andrea Polito
I like white flowers and candles.  I don't want anything too high, though, so that option might not work. 

The flowers are definitely a work in progress.  My sister was kind enough to do a trial run - living in NYC gives her access to a magical place called the Flower District.  Here are her trials:

Personal Photos

Personal Photos
I love square vases so the short option definitely appeals to me.  I like the pop of color in the tall version, but maybe with more of a blue to match our colors.  So now for some help!  What blue flowers could we use for the pop?  Which of these would look better surrounded by some candles?  Any suggestions for good (inexpensive) flowers to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment