Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hair!

One of the few many subjects Mr. B had an opinion about is how I will wear my hair.  He will not know anything about my bridal look and he trusts me completely, but I know what he likes and doesn't like.  He told me he didn't want me to wear my hair all the way up, even though he knows I love getting up-dos.  He wants to marry the woman he proposed to in the Tallahassee airport, not some woman from a bridal magazine.  I get that, I really do.  I decided that I would do a half up/half down situation as a compromise.  Here was my original inspiration for how I would wear my hair: 

Image via Style Me Pretty / Photography by Chris Bailey Photography / Event design by Keely Thorne Events
I think this is beautiful and polished but also still "me."  OK, one decision down!  Wait, not so fast...  I went dress shopping and everything changed.  As I tried on every dress, I would put my hair up with my hands to see how it looked.  My consultant kept offering me her hair band but I kept insisting that I couldn't wear my hair up.  As soon as I stepped out of the dressing room in what would become THE dress I grabbed her hair band and knew my hair would be up.  It just had to be!  Everyone agreed that Mr. B would get over it and that I would look beautiful (great friends, right?!).  Fortunately, he has since pointed out a few up-do options as "It would be OK if your hair looks like that."

Well, as much as I am relieved I get to wear my hair up, I am now almost overwhelmed by the amount of choices.  I want something simple and not too "bridal," because I really do want to look like myself.  I know I want something low and centered on my head.

I can always look to The Duchess of Cambridge for some inspiration.

Image via Daily Makeover / Photo by Getty Images
Why is she so pretty?? I love the part, the enough-but-not-too-much volume, the placement on her head. This is a definite keeper.

I don't know if that back is exactly what I had in mind, though.  I was thinking more along the lines of a low, simple crossed bun situation.  Something like this:

Image via One Sweet Wedding
 
Oooh, yes.  I think that could be exactly what I want!

For the ceremony I plan on wearing a veil attached to the top of the chignon.  I need something simple enough that we can get the combs from the veil out for the reception without ruining my hair.   


Image via Project Wedding / Photo by Kelly Zhang
I think before I spend too much time deciding how I will do my hair, I first need to decide who will do my hair.  This is one of the problems with a destination wedding - I have very few resources for things like this.  I will also run into trouble trying to do a trial since every time I go up there I am with Geoffrey.  Maybe I will use the cupcake tasting/champagne drinking trip with the girls as a chance to get some hair and makeup trials in.  For a hot minute I actually thought of having my usual stylist and someone else from the salon come up to Savannah for the weekend but I quickly realized that would be a super ineffective use of money.  Ugh.

While we are talking about Kate Middleton...  I had my hair done for our engagement party and I asked my stylist to style my hair like hers.

Nailed it!  (Personal photo)

I can still look like myself with a simple up-do, right?  How did you decide on the perfect hairstyle?

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to have an excuse to dive into the Kate Middleton hair archive looking for all of her amazing up-dos. You know how I feel about her hair. Strongly. In favor.

    ReplyDelete