Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Story of Us (Part 2)

Where did we leave off?  Mr. B and I were on a path to become more than friends, but was it worth it?  Could I deal with the divorce and the kids and the age difference and the baggage?  My friends were generally supportive but they were also very cautious, with good reason.  They didn't want to see me get hurt.  Some also thought it was so funny that I was dating someone with kids, considering my borderline fear of them.  It was pretty casual, though, and we didn't make plans for the future.  We just had fun and enjoyed spending time together.

In February 2011 I flew to NYC for the weekend for my sister's birthday.  When I booked the trip I told my friend Brad that the only reasonably priced flight option was going to have a 4 hour layover at the Atlanta airport.  During the Superbowl.  Not ideal.  He joked that maybe I would meet the man of my dreams at the airport bar and we would get married and it would be fate.  Superbowl Sunday came and as I was preparing to go to brunch before leaving town, I texted Mr. B to ask how his first half marathon went.  It went very well and he was resting up before heading out on a work trip - a work trip to Atlanta. 

(paraphrasing...)
Miss B:  What are you doing for the Superbowl?
Mr. B:  I guess just watching it in my hotel room.
Miss B:  OK to say no (I say that a lot) but do you want to meet me at the airport and we can watch it together?
Mr. B:  Yes!  I'll let you know when I get into town and we can coordinate from there.

And the rest, as they say, is history.  I got to the restaurant first and had the most amazing waiter - he was half Hispanic and half Australian but all American, if that even makes sense.  He would say things like "You doing OK, mate?" followed by "No problemo!"  I texted Mr. B about him and he started making up hysterical nicknames for him along the lines of Crocodile Diego - I was laughing so hard and he wasn't even in front of me!

Bicycles on a plane!  (Personal photo.)
We spent a few hours watching the game, talking, and falling in love without even realizing it.  I got back to Tallahassee and told the friend that picked me up from the airport that everything just changed.  I could learn to love his kids because they were an extension of him.  I could overlook the divorce because everyone has a past.  The age difference never bothered us because we don't even notice it.

So there we have it - I did end up meeting the man of my dreams while watching the Superbowl at the Atlanta airport.  Anyone else find love in an unexpected place?

No comments:

Post a Comment