Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dressing Our Junior Bridesmaid

Mr. B's daughter A is going to be our junior bridesmaid.  She is 10, which is a little too old for a flower girl and not quite old enough for a bridesmaid.  I don't entirely understand the role of a junior bridesmaid but the plan is to have her walk down the aisle and then most likely sit with her grandparents instead of standing with the bridal party.  After all, there won't be a lot of room up there with the ridiculous size of my bridal party.

Although A is excited to be in the wedding, she is not excited about getting dressed up for it.  She is a tomboy through and through - no princesses, no skirts, nothing girly.  She would rather be in mesh shorts and a dri-fit tee shirt than anything else.  Unfortunately our wedding is a little more formal than athletic wear so we need to figure out what to put her in.

She came with me to Jacksonville on our bridesmaid dress shopping trip and she was hoping/expecting to pick out something to wear as well.  We looked at all the pretty dresses in the store and she kept asking when we were going to a store to look at something for her.  I showed her the dresses designed for flower girls and junior bridesmaids but she kept insisting that she wanted to wear "church pants and a collared shirt," which equates to khakis and a polo.  And sneakers if she has it her way.  As much as I really do want her to be comfortable, I will not be comfortable if she walks down the aisle looking like this:

Image via Continental Uniform
I don't have a good idea of what I do want her to wear, though, since I hate most dresses designed for young girls.

No.  Thank.  You. (Image via onlineflowergirldresses.com)
One Coren Moore dress caught my eye at the Jacksonville store but unfortunately it was too small for A to try on, although I don't know if she actually would have even if it did fit.

Image via Coren Moore
I think it is just so sweet and it works with our colors.  I don't want to push the issue too much until the summer, though, so I have some more time to keep looking.  This dress is a bit more than I wanted to spend, especially considering I know she will only wear it once.  So I will keep looking!

In the meantime, I hope we can get her more comfortable with the idea of wearing a dress at the wedding.  She wore one at her mother's wedding and apparently didn't give her any trouble, although I have a feeling it is because it wasn't posed as a choice.  Mr. B tried to get her to wear a dress at Thanksgiving and she all but threw a hissy fit, refusing to eat with us and spending the evening on the couch, even after he let her change back into her jeans. 

She is a tomboy and I in no way want to change that about her, but I also don't want her walking down the aisle in something that looks like her school uniform.  That being said, I don't want her to look like a typical flower girl or junior bridesmaid.

Should I have her wear navy pants and a cream shirt of some sort?  Or look for a dress that is comfortable, wedding appropriate, and not too girly?  Has anyone else dealth with a similar issue?






1 comment:

  1. Some of the colorful junior bridesmaid dress collection is shared in this post was looking great. It is the responsibility of brides to select the best junior bridesmaid dress for female kids. The wedding app for free is useful to identify the best dress vendors nearby area. Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete