Monday, March 11, 2013

Where do we stay??

OK, this may be trivial and I could have been making a big deal out of nothing - but - I was having the hardest time deciding where to stay on our wedding night!  My plan is to spend Friday night there by myself (or maybe with my sister) and then spend the wedding night there with Mr. B .  I want a space big enough for all the girls to eat, drink, and get ready. 

I originally thought I wanted to stay in a bed and breakfast (even though I've never stayed in one) since it seemed like a romantic place to spend our first night as husband and wife.  No B&B has a big bridal room, though.  I did find one room I like but I don't think it will be big enough, the Oglethorpe Penthouse at The Gastonian.

Source
It has two working fireplaces and a separate living room and bedroom.  It just doesn't seem big enough for 11 people to get ready at the same time, though.

I then discovered the McMillan Inn, which appears to be a small inn of suites.  They have a carriage house that could potentially be big enough:

Source
I found another carriage house at the Armstrong Inns and this seems like another viable option.
Source
None of these are ideal, though.  I think my problem is I was spoiled by a wedding I was in a few months ago at the JW Marriott in San Antonio.  They have a beautiful bridal suite and it was more than enough room for all of us.  There was a bedroom, two bathrooms, a huge dining table, a couch, and just a lot of space.  The only place in Savannah that has anything similar is the Weston - across the river.  Do I really want to get ready (sort of) far away?  Oh, and it is really, really expensive.

After a few months of worrying about this with no obvious good choice, I realized the solution was there the whole time.  One of our room blocks is at the Andaz Savannah, a really fun Hyatt property in the heart of the historic district.  I emailed our contact there and she had the perfect solution - their Andaz Suite is a two-room suite, featuring a living room area, wet bar, and balcony.  It connects to either a king or queen guest room, so MOH/Sister NYC will stay in the adjoining room and we will be able to have a large space to get ready on the big day!

Image via Andaz Savannah
Mr. B and I stayed there last fall and loved everything about it, from the complimentary in-room snacks and non-alcoholic beverages to the lobby bar, where you can get an expertly crafted cocktail and an order of bacon! 

I know this seems like a small detail, but it worried me for a while and I am so happy to have it figured out.  So, tell me - what did you do?  Did you use the same space for getting ready and the night of the wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment